Xbox 360 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox 360 Forums, Game Reviews & More

X3F AracdeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nate
Management
Management
Nate

Number of posts : 649
Console : Xbox 360
Favorite Game : Oblivion
My GamerTag : 0
Registration date : 2008-01-02

WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008 Empty
PostSubject: WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008   WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:20 pm

If my wrestler could fight as good as he looks...

Just what exactly is the WWE? World Wrestling Entertainment. Entertainment?? I liked it better when it was the WWF, when the name actually made some sort of sense. World Wrestling Entertainment?? Allright, whatever...

It's scripted. That's precisely what it is. If you thought wrestling on TV was ridiculous, believe me, it doesn't stop there.

I wasn't a big fan of THQ's previous SmackDown VS RAW game, SmackDown VS RAW 2007. It had a couple nice features, but after playing for two days through a horrbily lame storyline, I found it definately not worth my time. Silly me, to think that THQ, Jakks Pacific, and whoever else pitches in on this game's creation had actually gotten their acts together...

SmackDown VS RAW 2008 follows up last year's game with a version that now includes "24/7" mode, where you lead the life of a WWE Superstar or a GM, and, you guessed it, take on all their daily activities.

WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008 TripleH

I will admit, I was simply amazed at the power of the "Create A Superstar" function in this year's game. I would give just this feature an 8.5/10 score it's so good. My only qualm with this feature is the usual somewhat blocky interface, which can become confusing and frustrating to use. However, the end product, my created wrestler, looked fantastic. I gave him long, wild brown hair that covered his face, which bounces to the slightest touch of the RS (to turn the wrestler). Ok, that looks great. No graphics slip-ups there, as well as through the entire "Create A Superstar" mode. Hundreds of different tattoo designs, hair styles, clothing options and accessories are at your disposal. With literally millions of possibilities here, it is very possible to create a clone of yourself. Earrings, nose studs, lip piercings, goatees, it's all here, and it looks better than I've ever seen it.

I was pleasantly surprised at this year's soundtrack choices. Bands like HellYeah, Sevendust and Puddle of Mudd make up the game's menu music, with fitting song titles, such as Puddle of Mudd's "Famous".

Another long awaited feature (that is still unpolished) is the ability to import your own music from your Xbox 360 Hard Drive into your created wrestler's entrance theme. I put "Hells Bells" from AC/DC into my created Superstar's entrance.

One fun thing about the Superstar's "24/7" mode is the option to participate in extra curricular events and activities on your days off. Go to a WWE photo shoot to up your fan base, shoot a new movie, sign autographs, promote the WWE (and earn a decent paycheck), or just go to a children's hospital and see kids for charity. Unfortunately, once again, a fun portion of the game turns out to be hindered as well, as this feature was left unpolished and at times meaningless, as you could do any event at any time (as you progress in your WWE career, wouldn't it make sense to be able to unlock events?).

This is where our joyride stops. After creating a wrestler, I'm approached by the man himself, Vince McMahon, only to have him give me his "This is what I expect of you in this business!!" speech. Very nice. Moments later, I find myself in a grungy, dimly lit room called my "Locker Room". There's a poster of a chick in a bikini on the wall, a couple magazines, a laptop, cell phone, and wall calendar. "You won't be parked here long, playa!", voices my over-enthused GM. After 17 meaningless matches, and five months, I'm starting to wonder how long "long" is.

I don't care how other people review this, I have a ton of beef with this mode. First off, if you haven't already guessed, you're bound by a storyline. That means a bunch of stupid crap is going to happen, and there isn't a thing you can do about it. Seriously, just a few matches into my less than illustrious WWE career, I'm already fighting top wrestlers and being considered for "Number one contender"!! What?? You're kidding me. That's not how it should happen. I know it's all scripted, but you can't tell me that Vince McMahon would actually give a brand new wrestler a shot at a title within his first few matches. That's a lame excuse for a storyline, pal. Why? Let me explain. Just outta the gates, my "Superstar" weighs in at an overall rating of 35/100. Any "Diva" (the chicks in wrestling) could kick my ass if they wanted to! Here I am, a 6'10", 275 pound heavyweight, and I'm getting absolutely demolished by featherweights. This isn't what I'd like to call "fun". Monotnous and pointless comes to mind.

In earlier wrestling games, your wrestler (created or not) would be able to accumulate attribute points at the end of every match. You could literally sit there and assign earned attributes to any category (Strength, Speed, Submission, etc) you'd like. Earning attributes in this game is like trying to start a car without an engine. It is pointless, time-wasting and does absolutely no good. Again, not so fun.

Because of this being scripted and incredibly linear, do not expect to win many matches. In 17 matches, I've managed to win a whopping TWO. After one crappy storyline ends, the next Pay-Per-View match is "only weeks away!" so another crappy storyline begins. The game expects you to pull off really tough matches, all conveniently tipped in your opponent's favor, somehow or some way. To make your chances of winning matches worse, you can get seriously injured in this game. "Rehab!!" you might say. Ah, but there is no rehab. No rehab, no Doctor, no treatments, no "Hey I have broken ribs, can I get the next 7 weeks off?" option. Nothing. You are scheduled, broken leg or no broken leg, for next week's match. No, not fun.

The GM portion of the "24/7" mode has potential, as you are GM of either RAW, SmackDown or the ECW. Don't get too excited. No interaction with wrestlers, you see no action, no real power. Coming down that arena ramp, microphone in hand wearing a business suit to break up a nasty chair fight... is still in the works. Maybe. You never leave your GM office. All you do is schedule fights, look at meaningless income and expense figures, rest injured wrestlers (which my GM miserably failed to do to me) and speak with the WWE Chairman every so often. You can't even create your own GM. With a "Create A Superstar" mode this freakin powerful, why not??

The "Pros" are cool, but they're heavily outweighed by unpolished features. Don't spend time on this unless you are a true fan-boy of the WWE and attend every event in person. I wouldn't expect too much from these games in the future either, unless they finally get a new developer, publisher, writer...

The Bottom Line

5.5/10

+ Spectacular graphics.
+ Awesome soundtrack!!
+ Player Creator and Entrance Creator modes simply own.
+ Import your own entrance music.

- Scripted matches, storylines.
- Extremely linear.
- GM mode is pointless.
- Earning attributes is a time-sucking chore.
- Broken ribs? So what! Fight!
Back to top Go down
https://xbox360forum.forumotion.net

WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2008
Page 1 of 1